So after a whirlwind of goodbyes and packing and losing stuff and truck renting and driving through the night with an 18 year old cat howling its brains out for 10 solid hours we got ourselves and most of our shit to our new home in Durham, NC.
And due to our sexy little research area and through the science of Google I have REAL real-time traffic and you can look right in my windows, I couldn’t be more relieved…
We had a going away party of sorts, I appreciate all the people that made it and the few people that wrote to tell me you couldn’t. There were some noticeable absences which were disappointing. But it’s all behind me and I can only appreciate that everyone made our last hurrah a blast and allowed me to escape without much in the way of violence.
So we’re up here still unpacking and both still waiting for our jobs to start and it seems like we might just be waiting until the end of this next month due to the island-like sloth prevalent here. This will surely dry up our savings and make us start tearing the house apart looking for items to Ebay. (I wonder if you can Ebay cats?)
We’ve been exploring the area, here’s what we’ve learned so far:
- There are 2 kinds of pool halls, one is fucked up by management to maintain a certain kind of clientèle like the legendary Green Room and the other is fucked up by the clientèle like the more infamous Jumpshots . Either way, it’s not a pool hall as far as we’re concerned if it isn’t fucked up.
- Top of the Hill is a restaurant in Chapel Hill that UNC students take their parents to when visiting. The beer is excellent, but the food will make you wish you ordered your steak at the Waffle House.
- Cary is a huge suburban sprawl in the corridor between us and Raleigh, it’s said that CARY stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. Needless to say, we’ll be keeping our distance.
- The locals think the area is overrun with Mexicans, trust me it’s not. However, it does help if you don’t mind the piercing din of tejano music pouring out of 1983 Corolla with a missing a tailpipe.
- Honey’s Restaurant is 24 hours with free WiFi and is like a cross between Denny’s and Patsio’s, if you don’t know what I mean, it’s a good thing.
- There is one goth/industrial night at a gay club in Raleigh which reminds me of Ft. Lauderdale 20 years ago.
- Finally, Bojangle’s has it all over KFC, Church’s and Popeye’s combined.